Monday, May 21, 2007

Week 4 RSS Feeds

Really Simple Syndication....Simple??? In theory perhaps, and I suppose compared to what syndication used to be, it must be.
I have been using bloglines news reader since last summer. I find I check in a few times a month, I am not that much of a newshound. I subscribe to more feeds than I check, too. I always check Shifted Librarian & LII for interesting web sites and techie stuff. I have to watch out though, I can spend 6 hours surfing in the blink of an eye (Einstein was right, time is relative!) and get myself in trouble because I didn't go shopping for dinner, another Saturday shot to *%&#.

For the project I added a bloglines box, but I don't think I did it right. It goes to Bloglines alright, but not to my feeds. Must have missed a step. Will play again later.

One of my ideas for RSS feeds was to create a page on the library's website where all new materials would be posted. Then when we got new books or videos people who subscribed would be notified by the RSS. I have the spot, but not the time while I am at work.
Another is since classes are now using the Guys Read and Girls Read student review pages, teachers could be notified when their student completed the posting.

1 comment:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Thanks to Bloglines, the CSLA 2.0 Team was alerted to your newest post (and new posts by several other CSLA members who are also "early birds.") Bloglines will be an incredibly valuable tool for managing this course over the summer.

If each of your students in a blook club (or a classroom teachers' class) had an assignment to post to a blog or blogs, a news feeder would be a real useful tool for you. Enjoy!