Monday, May 19, 2008

All Shook Up

They actually cut the library program. I am fortunate, but definately suffering from survivor's guilt. My program will remain in tact, I will be back at my site and in my cozy library home next year. Others are not so fortunate.

The district decided that libraries were important places for students to "hang out" in middle and high school, but that the elementary children could be served from classroom libraries. So sixteen elementary schools will no longer have library programming.

What the Board of Trustee's did not forsee was, that as classified employees, we remain in our jobs through seniority. So there were 16 employees who suddenly were moving from elementary positions into 9 middle school & high school positions. We are all shook up.

So what are the next steps? Education for the board as to what a library program actually is, explaining how and why they work. I guess I will be speaking to "item 8" at the board meetings for the next while. Libraries 3 minutes at a time.

No comments: