Thursday, July 5, 2007

Do you see what I see? Wk 9 #22

I have always been a print kind of a gal. I love the feel of a paperback in my hands, me stretching out on the chaise lounge, eating chocolate, and reading. So, asking me to explore ebooks is asking a lot of me.

Off into foreign territory I go. Ah, Project Gutenberg...Hmm, they seem to have quite a bit available.... Hmmm, could this help with my summer research project, re: Charles L. Dodgson?...Inputting author.....WOW!!! What a lot of print material I haven't been able to find before; logic problems, poetry, foreign translations, including Esperanto......FREEEEEEE! This is good stuff! What about e-Audio books? Holy Dodo Bird, Batman! I don't have to reinvent the wheel, my book is already there on LibriVox!

After days of surfing through the e-sites, I have joined BookMooch,tagged a bunch of ebook sites on my del.icio.us account (to be add to my school's web page later), added sites to my research wiki, read poetry, looked at new SciFi/Fantasy author's works on Baen Library. I have spent so much time on the computer, my husband is beginning to believe I am having an online affair!
This has been eye-opening. While I still prefer print materials, you just can't float in a pool with a laptop, I have found a plethora of materials available that are pretty, darn, tough, to find elsewhere.

No comments: